Sunday, April 22, 2012

And the journey gets exciting...

We've started this blog in an effort to keep all of our friends and family updated on our journey to bringing these sweet boys into the world.  


Early Wednesday morning, Brent and I quickly rushed to the hospital because I woke up bleeding and contracting.  Needless to say, this is the last thing a pregnant woman wants to see at 25 weeks.  We were quickly admitted and everyone at the hospital began trying to figure out what was going on.  At first, everyone was convinced that my water had broken -- at 25 weeks this was a depressing diagnosis, as there are lots of complications that can occur.  So I was put on antibiotics, given steroid shots to help the babies' lungs develop, and given a number of medicines to stop the contractions.  We received consults from a perinatologist and the staff in the NICU.  The NICU consult was difficult -- basically if we were to deliver at 25 weeks we would be looking at an incredibly long, hard road.  


After two days, three ultrasounds, and hours of monitoring, the doctors have since decided that my water is not broken (THANK GOODNESS!!).  They have ruled out placenta abruption as the source of the bleeding (AGAIN THANK GOODNESS!!).  They believe the bleeding is due to cervical change --My cervix basically shortens and lengthens.  


I have been moved to a room on the antepartum wing and over the last 24 hours have had very few contractions and my bleeding has pretty much stopped.  At this point, my Doctor feels like I will most likely remain here until we deliver these boys.  Today we are 26 weeks and 3 days ....


Right now we are taking it day by day, as every extra day these babies bake increases our odds of bringing two healthy baby boys home.  Our longer term goal right now is to make it to 28 weeks -- survivability dramatically increases at this point, as the number of complications decreases.  But ultimately, we are praying and hoping that we make it to 34 weeks.  At 34 weeks, the babies lungs should be fully developed (thanks to the steroid shots) and they shouldn't have to spend much time, if any in the NICU.  


We really have appreciated all of the calls, texts, emails, and prayers!  AND so let the countdown begin.....



2 comments:

  1. Susan, Brent and Conley...Rick and I are keeping you all and the babies lifted in prayer! We love you and will talk with you soon. Much love! CM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you my friend!!!! Let me know when you feel like some company and I will come spend some time with you(you know I'm available anytime lol). Love you much!

    ReplyDelete