Wednesday, May 30, 2012

31 days

It's incredibly hard to believe that these precious little boys are already a month old!  We've been in the NICU 31 days and somehow it just seems like a normal part of our life.  Both boys are doing very well.  The blood that Paxton was given last week has helped a lot -- so far all of his labs have looked great and we're hoping it stays that way.  Lennox's labs have also come back good -- it doesn't look like he will need blood!  Both boys have really been putting on the weight -- Paxton weighs 2 pounds 8.8 ounces and Lennox is 3 pounds 6.5 ounces.   Because we are doing so well, the NICU staff have labeled us "feeders and growers."  I've been waiting to get to this point because I feel like we can finally exhale a little and relax -- the boys basically just need to grow and put on weight.  The nurses have told us that they think in the next week or so, they will begin to see how Lennox does maintaining his own body temperature -- one step closer to coming home.

I was asked by a friend the other day, what "Kangarooing" was, as I had mentioned it on another post.  Kangaroo care has been shown to dramatically help premature babies and it is where the baby is held skin to skin with Mom or Dad -- that's why in most of our pictures of Lennox and Paxton you see us bare chested.  I've realized that I've become immersed in "NICU speak"  and forget that not everyone knows all of the terminology!

Sweet Paxton
Although Paxton looks incredibly sweet and peaceful in this picture, do not let this fool you.  My conversation with one of the nurses the other day:
Nurse: Sweet little Paxton is wild.  And I mean BUCK WILD!  He has been making me look bad all day.
Me:  Yes, he can get a little crazy sometimes.  What's he been doing today?
Nurse:  That boy kicks his bean bag off his legs and somehow gets himself to the end of the bed in the fetal position and makes it look like I threw him in the bed and walked away.  He's been doing this all day long.  I don't think he realizes how little he is -- he's not supposed to move that much. 
I think Paxton is always going to be the one who thinks he is bigger than he is and is going to be ready for anything!

By far my FAVORITE picture of Lennox so far! 
Don't want to leave big brother Conley out -- here's a picture of our newest trick.  I picked this picture because I don't want anyone to have the impression that we've actually mastered this parenting thing (with kids or dogs) and hopefully a few of you will get a good laugh!

Conley showing that he can climb on the table and
Blue showing that he still really rules this roost (at least in his head)! 



1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Thank you for doing this blog. Its wonderful to be able to follow along <3

    ReplyDelete